Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ina Garten's Watermelon Mojitos!


Hihi.  This year I had a pretty low key Memorial Day Weekend.  I ended up just hanging around my pool and working on my tan.  My mom has Ina Garten's, How Easy is That cookbook and inside there is this recipe for watermelon mojitos.  I always eye this recipe, but never attempt to make it.  It seemed pretty easy and I had all the ingredients, so I gave it a try.  I thought it would be the perfect drink to sip by the pool.  

The recipe calls for simple syrup.  My mom makes this on the regular for the armenian desserts that she makes.  But her simple syrup has some rose water in it.  I wasn't sure if it was going to make the mojito taste weird, but it gave the mojito such a nice armenian and tasty twist ;) 

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

30 large fresh mint leaves, coarsely torn by hand
3 to 4 thick slices fresh watermelon
12 ounces light rum, such as Bacardi
1/2 cup simple syrup
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
Sprigs of mint and spears of watermelon, for serving

Directions

Use a mortar and pestle to mash the mint leaves. Remove and discard the rind and seeds of the watermelon. Put the fruit into a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree. Put the mashed mint into a large pitcher with 2 cups of pureed watermelon, the rum, simple syrup, and lime juice and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a pitcher for serving.

Place ice cubes in 6 glasses and pour the mojito mixture into the glasses. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and spears of watermelon. Serve ice cold.







 Voila!!

The recipe says it will make 6 glasses, but mine barely made 5.   That might be because I poured out too much or because I don't know how to measure watermelon correctly.  Either way it tasted great! Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

xoxo
Kareena

recipe via
Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Haha I love anything and everything with rose water or orange blossom water! I bet these tasted amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious! Want to try it now!

    -V
    http://www.stylishlyme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely bog <3
    Lets follow each other in Bloglovin and GFC and FB :)
    Kindly let me know where all you are following and I will return the favor.
    My blog - Giveaway dose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following you on all three! Will you return the favor?
      xoxo
      Kareena

      Delete
  4. so wonderful!

    Join my lovely giveaway xjesss
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by!

xoxo
Kareena